Thursday, May 1, 2008

My New Fey Altar

(crossposted from 101 Notes to Self)

I cleared out the space for my Fey Altar and began pulling it together today. I decided to place it in the bay window in my kitchen. I like this spot for it because it seems like a "between the worlds" type place in my home. It's not really inside (because it juts out over my herb garden) and it's not really outside (because it's still part of the kitchen). Also, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and I want to use the altar as a vehicle to build and foster and fruitful relationship with the Fey. What better way to do that than to place it somewhere I'll look at it a lot?
  
  
It's very basic right now, but after thinking about it quite a bit, I think I have a solid idea of where I'm going with it. I hope to create a portal, of sorts, around the frame of the bay window. I plan to do this using my interpretation of the symbolism associated with the points of the Feri Star (7-pointed star). It's difficult to explain, so I'll just have to show what I mean through photographs as I get it set up. Suffice it to say I'm starting with the top point: The Sun.
   
  
My selection of items for this altar were greatly influenced by the events of the day I began setting it up. Sadly, Cora Anderson passed the morning I chose to activate the altar and I was strongly moved to place her photograph, along with that of her beloved Victor, together as the centerpiece. It is appropriate, I think, since it is through their teachings that I am even communing with the Fey in this way. Eventually, however, I know their photographs will migrate to my ancestor altar, as they truly are my spiritual ancestors.
   
  
Other items on the altar in it's current incarnation include a sparkly blue kaleidoscope (it just seemed Fey-ish), the gold doilie I used during Cora's 93rd birthday celebration, two plants, a skull, a rose, a wooden mushroom, and the pieces that will eventually be assembled to create the first point in my Feri Star portal.

This altar is (obviously) a work in progress.  My goal is to have it finished by May 1, 2009.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Very nice! I love those kinds of windows.

Marni said...

Me too! It's my favorite thing about our kitchen. :)