Thursday, February 28, 2008

Candlemas Cross Stitch

I've been so extraordinarily busy lately, I haven't had time to produce much original art, but I am always creating something. It's during these times I fall back on simple projects like cross stitching. I actually have not cross stitched anything in a couple years, but my friend, fellow witch, and all-around crafty girl, Robbi, mentioned it to me a few weeks ago and I got the cross stitch itch again.

I enjoy cross stitching because I can pick it up when I have a few free moments, put it down when I need to, and it travels well. I can work on it on the couch as I unwind in front of the TV, in the car while waiting for my son at school, or outside while he plays and I soak up the sun.

Willow Polson has a few Pagan craft books available that I love. Her Sabbat Entertaining: Celebrating the Wiccan Holidays with Style is kind-of like a Martha Stewart-style guide to the eight sabbats. For each holiday, Ms. Polson offers up recipes, crafts, lore, rites, and customs. I strongly believe in traditions - I think they anchor us while allowing for creativity. Sabbat Entertaining offers many starting points for creating your own traditions.


In this book, Ms. Polson offers a simple, small cross stitch pattern for each sabbat. I've decided to work through them all this year, and assemble them into a cohesive project when I'm finished. Earlier this month, on Candlemas, I began working on her Imbolc Stitchery pattern.


I think this project is sweet and simple. It calls for both DMC and Kreinik flosses and even though I had to order the latter online, I still finished it very fast. I'm looking forward to working on the other sabbat patterns as the wheel of the year turns and assembling them all as a permanent marker of 2008 for myself and my family to keep and enjoy.

6 comments:

Anchored Away said...

Cute! Any ideas about what you'll do with these? I'd love to do some witchy crafting along these lines, but aside from seasonal pillows, I'm drawing a blank. :)

Marni said...

Thanks! Ms. Polson recommends you sew them all together and she has a center square with a general Wheel of the Year pattern for the center - so it would be a 3 square by 3 square pattern. I think she framed hers in the book. I considered the pillow thing, too. But I'm not sure, yet. I'm sure something will come to me. I have a year's worth of cross stitching before I have to decide. :)

Abby said...

This is really cute! I may have to pick up the book.

Marni said...

Thanks, Abby. The designs for the rest of the sabbats just get cuter. You should get the book. I really like it.

Вышивальщик said...

Очень красиво! Помещу на вас ссылочку!)) Вышивальщик

Mael Brigde, for The Daughters of the Flame said...

This is really lovely. Do you know if the designer sells the individual patterns, or do you need to get the whole book?